Friday, January 7, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to Recipes from Grandma's Kitchen. This is where I am recording all the recipes that have been passed down to us from our Grandma's - both mine and my husband's. There is nothing like taste and smell to bring back cherished memories and I believe it is important to preserve these family recipes for future generations.

My interest in family recipes began in 2004 when I compiled a little booklet of recipes from my maternal Grandmother, Doris (Dorcas). She had passed away in 2003 and memories were still fresh. I asked for feedback from her four daughters and then compiled that into a booklet form. It took until 2008 for me to make another booklet. This time it was all about recipes from my husband Todd's paternal Grandmother, Mildred (Millie), who was still living at the time. Todd's aunt and mother were able to provide a lot of information and photos for this project. Then, later in the same year, I compiled another recipe book. This one on recipes from Todd's maternal Grandmother, Pauline, who was no longer living. My MIL and Todd's Aunt had lots of memories and recipes to pass along to this project as well. I haven't been able to come up with enough recipes for a booklet on my paternal Grandmother, Hilda, as she and my father both passed away when I was young. Before I knew enough to ask such questions. Sadly, there may be little content on Hilda's recipes here.

If you are thinking about gathering together a booklet on recipes from your grandmothers, please start now! If not for your sake, do it for your children's sake. Memories fade and little pieces of paper scribbled with a favourite family recipe have a way of going missing. Come by later for a more detailed post on how to do your own booklet of Recipes from Grandma's Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!