Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Filling

This recipe is from Todd's Grandma A. (Pauline). At the top of the recipe card she had written, "Very good." Other notes from the recipe written by Grandma A. are shown in quotations below.

Chocolate Cake

3/4 cup butter or margarine ("I used some butter & shortening.")
1 3/4 cups sugar
Cream till fluffy. Add 2 eggs.
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour ("I used pastry.")
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water

"I used the chocolate filling. You cook & choc icing. Make Todd & Dan a big cake for me."

Chocolate Filling for Cake

1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup boiling water

Cook until thick, add a small piece of butter and vanilla. "Joyce: This recipe is good for chocolate sauce. For filling I find you need more cornstarch (2 tbsp.)."

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate is my favorite and having a Chocolate filling makes it even better!!! Do you bake the cake in two 8 or 9" greased and floured pans and for how long. Can't wait to try this recipe!! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, I checked with my MIL and she suggested baking it in either an 8 or 9" cake pan at 350 deg. f until done. You may have to stick a fork in the centre to see if it is finished baking. I'm sorry I can't give much more details on this one as I haven't tried it yet myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!